Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Back in Black

I've been really slack with this thing. Meh.

My resume-distributing trip to the mall last week was somewhat productive. Most places I went to were happy to accept my resume but also made it clear that they weren't hiring until at least November and wanted someone with more retail experience than I. A few places were downright hostile and some were apologetic, in a "we just laid off half our staff last week" sorta way. The only store that seemed really interested was Bently, a place that usually sells suitcases and mittens. It seems that for the Holiday Season they're setting up a satellite kiosk somewhere in the mall that sells nothing but slippers and they'll be needing staff for that. Good enough. Slippers are a great cop out gift. Kinda like mittens.

In other news, a friend of my brother may be able to get me a job at the CIBC call centre. Which would be okay, at least it pays more than $6.20/hr and would probably let me have a regular schedule. However, if my own experience is any indication, nobody's feeling cheerful when they come to the point when they actually have to call the bank. If it's anything like my last call centre job, it will make me want to stab myself in the head repeatedly. The verbal abuse and sexual harassment kind of gets to you after a while, you know? It's been four years since I worked at Cendant, and I still literally get nauseous whenever I have to take that bus route.

In still other news, one of my professors works with the Music on the Hill program and she's waiting to hear about a grant she's applied for to hire a student part time. I'm not totally clear on what the job actually is, and the funding isn't in place yet, but I think it's clerical/administrative stuff. More than likely better than minimum wage, and I probably wouldn't have to deal with the public very much. So basically at this point, it's my dream job.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mad'Nis said...

In Germany it's the dreaded TV tax, man I was so suckered, I had no idea. I just answered the frickin door. Germans know better. The Wholesome Haligonian here just answered all the questions like Hermione Granger and then was passed the bill, €25 ($40CAN) per month. All due to the little sheite-box in the living-room I never watch because a) The reception is terrible and b) the programming is ATROCIOUS. (Is that how one spells "atrocious"? How embarassing) Eventually I will figure out a way to communicate to them that I have destroyed the TV.

Also, doing the call-center thing in Berlin with all the other Anglophone Job-Retarded, for Siemens. It's not so bad... but here it pays $16 an hour. Message: Get the hell out of No Funswick before it's too late!!!

12:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home